chris willett

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Ten- on the bike

I figured as time goes by it would make more sense to title these with the things I did so they are easier to find in the future.
Firstly it's time for 'oh I forgot to mention'- the other day while in the city centre I was (as so often seems to happen) I was' taken short'. Either this is something to do with my age or the amount of social drinking I'm doing but I'll consider it a problem when I stop making it to the loo in time. Anyway, it seemed that every public convenience I went to was closed for cleaning or something and my last resort was the gents in Cape Town Railway Station. If you ever feel that life is dull or that you maybe losing your edge and want a bottle tester- then taking a leak in there is the place to 'go'. It really was the dodgiest place I have ever set foot and how I walked out of there alive and with my wallet I will never know, but I won't be risking it again.

So, today it finally happened. After much prevaricating and procrastinating I got my hands on the motorbike I was determined to rent and headed South- as far south it is possible to get without going to sea- Cape Point- or Cape Horn to you. It was a gloomy start to the day but the sun soon acme out although it was chilly all day, especially in the sea breeze. I followed the coast road down one side of the peninsula and another back up the other side so I have had the most spectacular sea views pretty much all day. Every now and then a wave would sent spray across the road which was great although most of the journey was along the cliff tops looking across bays of green surf crashing against golden rocks. Loving motorbikes as I do I never for a second doubted I had picked the very best way to travel this road but when I stopped off at one of the tourist parking areas and heard a woman say "smell that sea air" I knew she had been breathing magic tree for the previous couple of hours while I had felt every gust of warm air off the sun baked cliffs or fresh blast form the rolling breakers.
Heading back on the Indian ocean side the scrub land was occasionally punctuated but the crimson of an indigenous baboons arse and at one point they held up the traffic and we were forced to weave between them as they picked at detritus blowing in the road. Perhaps that wasn't a good time to be on a bike but a confident stare seemed to work and the let me pass. Though they are one evil looking beast. Slightly more benign in the way of animal road blocks was a wild tortoise who raced across the road in about 10 minutes and was very nice to see.

After seeing to SA navy's main base and a couple of intended detours because the roads looked interesting I made it back to the shop with ten minutes to spare- the petrol here is about half the price of home so that was good too. I now have a few minutes to book some flights to Durban next week.

2 Comments:

At 8:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the one thing we all want to know is how many lovely ladies your are pulling? we want lurid stories of you prowling the youth hostel dorms and student bars, trying out those all perfected Mr Willett chat up lines....come on forget the scenery..dish some dirt.. and work your way round the world......;-)

 
At 9:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you get the e mail with regard to esprit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home